Protecting Your Garden During Rainstorms
Although our gardens love a nice rain shower, too much rain can be harmful to all the plants.
Although our gardens love a nice rain shower, too much rain can be harmful to all the plants. After all the hard work you have done to manage your garden, do not let heavy rainstorms ruin it! Follow these tips to protect your garden during heavy storms:
- Remove damaged limbs and shoots – Removing dead limbs and shoots from your plants will help make them more streamlined and will reduce snapping and tangling.
- Add compost and mulch – Adding a couple of inches of compost to the top 8 to 12 inches of soil will help with drainage.
- Support taller plants – Push wooden or metal support into the ground and tie taller plants to it. This will help keep them stable against rain and strong winds.
- Drainage – Make sure there is a proper runoff that tilts away from your garden and make sure it is not blocked. Water collecting in your garden can be damaging to your plants, possibly drowning them.
- Cover your most delicate plants – Use a waterproof tarp to cover your most fragile plants during heavy rainstorms. Make sure that the covering is not blocking water from draining because it can cause other plants to drown.
- Check your vegetable roots – Once the rainstorm has stopped, make sure there are no exposed roots following soil erosion. If there are exposed roots, cover them with soil or compost before they dry out.
- Check your pots and planters – Pots and planters can easily become flooded if the drainage is blocked. Check them before, during and after rainstorms. You can always cover pots and planters if necessary.
- Pull weeds up by hand – The moist soil after rain means you are much more likely to retrieve the whole root without it snapping or breaking.
Need more tips? Go to The Plant Guide for more information on maintaining your garden during severe weather.
Removing Odors Yourself After a Flood
In some circumstances, odors will need professional help to fully be removed.
Any water damage that occurs when your home floods can often come with odors and mold growth that continue to seep into your residence long after the water has subsided. You can take care to eliminate odors and preserve the safety of your dwelling with the following measures:
- Air Things Out - Open all doors and windows to allow air to circulate in your residence. This should help dissipate any lingering smells that remain and will also facilitate drying of the affected areas.
- Dry the Wet Areas - You may install dehumidifiers to speed up the drying process. Removing moisture from porous and absorbent surfaces such as carpet and upholstery can greatly reduce the chance of foul aromas remaining after the flood and can mitigate the appearance of mold.
- Deodorize Your Home - There are natural and inexpensive methods that you can utilize to expedite the deodorizing process in your house. Baking soda sprinkled into carpets or other absorbent surfaces can be vacuumed up and can get rid of foul odors. On less porous surfaces, vinegar applied liberally can aid in combating persistent smells.
In some circumstances, odors will need professional help to fully be removed. That’s where SERVPRO of West Sterling Heights can step in. If you need assistance with odor removal, our team has the training and the equipment that can get the job done right.
Storm Damage Services
When water damage strikes, a fast response is critical.
Heavy rainfall can lead to damage to your home or business. SERVPRO of West Sterling Heights wants local residents to know that when a storm damages your property, our highly trained professionals will respond to cleanup and restore your property to pre-damage condition. Below are just some of the services SERVPRO can provide during large storm events.
- Emergency Contact 24/7
- Inspection and Damage Assessment
- Water Removal and Water Extraction
- Drying and Dehumidification Services
- Cleaning and Repair
- Odor Removal
When water damage strikes, a fast response is critical. Our ability to immediately respond to a storm emergency helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs. If you’re experiencing water damage from a storm, call SERVPRO of West Sterling Heights at 586-480-2400.