Unexpected Fire Hazards in Your Home
Not all fire hazards are so predictable.
Not all fire hazards are so predictable like leaving a candle unattended or smoking inside your house. Some of the most dangerous fire hazards in your home are things you might not think about on a daily basis. Here are some unexpected fire hazards in your home that you should pay attention to:
- Dryer Lint – Excessive heat and lint buildup is just asking for trouble. It is important to clean the dryer vent and exhaust duct regularly.
- Dust – Dust can be a fire hazard if it collects near floor heaters, electronics, and sockets. If sparks fly, dust piles can ignite and start a house fire. Be sure to look under appliances and remove dust buildup.
- Gas Water Heater – Clothes piled too close to a gas water heater can ignite when the water heater comes on.
- Laptops – Laptops running for long periods of time tend to get hot. A hot laptop that is left on a bed, couch, blanket, or other soft surfaces can prevent air flow in and out of the cooling vents. This can produce enough heat to ignite and start a fire.
- Crumbs in the Toaster – Have you checked your toaster crumbs recently? As crumbs pile up on the bottom, a spark can easily catch fire and start a flame that catches on to items surrounding the toaster.
- Leaves in Gutters – Allowing leaves to gather up in your gutters or bushes to over grow can cause a major fire risk. Be sure to clean your gutters and your lawn regularly to reduce the risk of a fire.
Cleaning Up Fire Damage
Fire and smoke damage can be the most devastating things to happen to your home.
Fire and smoke damage can be the most devastating things to happen to your home. Once the fire is put out and everyone is safe, it is important to act quickly on cleaning up the damage.
The first 48 hours after a fire can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings. Our SERVPRO team can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems. We provide timely response with mitigation services after firefighters extinguish the fire and work through the project to completion, including removing smoke and soot removal to contents. These services help to ensure your property, belongings, and memories are restored to preloss condition when possible.
We understand that after fire damages your home, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and more than a little vulnerable. Our technicians will treat your family with empathy and your home with great care. Our main goal is to help your family or property as fast and efficiently as possible. Call our team today at 586-480-2400 if you need assistance with fire damage.
What to Do After a Fire
To address the rest of the fire damage to a property, you’ll want a team of highly trained specialists.
Below are things home and business owners can do after experiencing a fire in a property.
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep your hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas.
- If the electricity is off, empty your freezer and refrigerator and prop its doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
To address the rest of the fire damage to a property, you’ll want a team of highly trained specialists who have the necessary equipment that can get your property back to preloss condition. Call us today at 586-480-2400.