If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (586) 480-2400

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Microwave Oven Safety

7/26/2021 (Permalink)

Woman's arm with an open microwave door. When not maintained properly, microwaves ovens can become extremely hazardous.

We have all thought about the left-over pizza in our refrigerators and cannot wait to get home to reheat it in a microwave oven. These appliances are great to reheat and enjoy leftovers and other snacks without the hassle of actually cooking them. But did you know that there are potential hazards to microwaves? 

When not maintained properly, microwaves ovens can become extremely hazardous. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), 1 in 6 of microwave ovens cause home fires every year. Once a fire is ignited in the microwave, it can quickly catch the whole appliance on fire. This can lead to the fire spreading to other areas of your kitchen and potentially your whole house. These fires can cause an annual average of 10 deaths, 150 injuries, and around $31 million in property damage. 

To prevent potential, follow these tips below: 

  • Purchase a microwave oven that is listed by a qualified testing laboratory. Make sure to complete and return the product registration card. This way the manufacturer can reach you if there is a recall on the product. 
  • Make sure children are supervised when using microwaves. 
  • Plug the microwave oven directly into the wall outlet – never use an extension cord. 
  • Make sure the microwave oven is at a safe height, within easy reach of all users. 
  • Open food slowly, away from the face. Hot steam or the food itself can cause burns. 
  • Food heats unevenly in microwave ovens. Stir and test before eating or giving to children. 
  • Never heat a baby bottle in the microwave. 
  • Clean regularly. 

If a fire happens to break out, follow these steps: 

  • Leave the door to the microwave closed. 
  • Turn the microwave off and unplug it from the wall. 
  • Call the fire department immediately. 

Home fires happen unexpectedly and are can sometimes be out of control. Remember if your home suffers from fire damage, SERVPRO will be ready to help and make it “Like it never even happened.” 

Other News

View Recent Posts